Thunderstorms can be a scary and stressful experience for dogs, and many pet owners struggle to find ways to help their furry friends feel more comfortable during these events. While there are several natural remedies available, one that has gained popularity in recent years is CBD oil.
CBD oil is a natural supplement that has been shown to have a calming effect on dogs during thunderstorms, helping to reduce anxiety and promote relaxation. In this blog post, we will explore the benefits of CBD oil for dogs during thunderstorms, including how it works, how to choose the right product, and how to determine the appropriate dosage for your dog.
Whether you’re a seasoned CBD user or are considering it for the first time, this post on CBD oil for dogs during thunderstorms will provide you with all the information you need to help your dog feel more comfortable and less anxious during thunderstorms.
About Dog Anxiety During Thunderstorms
Dog anxiety is a response to a threat, such as loud noises. Humans are lucky because they understand, but dogs don’t always know what is going on around them. Just like humans, canines have a fight-or-flight response, which is what causes anxiety during times of trouble.
A dog’s anxiety can lead to misbehavior, such as ripping up furniture, or risky behavior such as getting stuck in places hard to get out of. This is why it’s highly important that dog owners treat their dog’s anxiety effectively.
How CBD Oil Works to Calm Dogs Down During Thunderstorms
CBD oil for dogs during thunderstorms works to calm dogs by interacting with the endocannabinoid system in their bodies. The endocannabinoid system plays a crucial role in regulating various physiological processes in the body, including mood, appetite, and pain sensation. When a dog experiences anxiety during a thunderstorm, the endocannabinoid system tries to calm the nervous system and the brain, but it may not always be effective.
CBD oil is a natural supplement that can help the endocannabinoid system function more effectively. It contains cannabinoids, which are chemical compounds that interact with receptors in the endocannabinoid system. When a dog ingests CBD oil, the cannabinoids bind to the receptors in the endocannabinoid system, helping to regulate mood and reduce anxiety.
CBD oil has been shown to have a calming effect on dogs during thunderstorms. It can help suppress the fight or flight response that dogs experience when they feel threatened, which can help them feel more relaxed and less anxious. Additionally, CBD oil has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce pain and discomfort that dogs may experience during a thunderstorm. Overall, CBD oil is a safe and effective option for dog owners looking to help their dogs feel more comfortable and less anxious during thunderstorms.
Research on CBD Oil for Dogs During Thunderstorms
- A 2020 study published in the journal Frontiers in Veterinary Science found that CBD oil may be effective in reducing anxiety in dogs. The study found that dogs who were given CBD oil showed a significant decrease in anxiety-related behaviors, such as pacing and panting.
- Dr. Stephanie McGrath, a veterinary neurologist at Colorado State University, has conducted several studies on the use of CBD for dogs with epilepsy and osteoarthritis. In an interview with NBC News, she stated that she has also seen promising results in using CBD for dogs with anxiety, including during thunderstorms. She notes that CBD is generally safe for dogs and has few side effects.
- Dr. Jerry Klein, Chief Veterinary Officer at the American Kennel Club, has also spoken about the potential benefits of CBD for dogs with anxiety. In an interview with the AKC, he notes that while there is limited research on the use of CBD for dogs, there is anecdotal evidence to suggest that it can be effective in reducing anxiety and stress.
How to Choose the Best CBD Oil for Dogs During Thunderstorms
Choosing the right CBD oil for dogs during thunderstorms for your dog can be overwhelming, especially with so many options available in the market. It’s important to understand the differences between various types of CBD oil to make an informed decision.
- Full-spectrum CBD oil contains all the natural compounds found in the hemp plant, including THC, which is the psychoactive compound that produces a “high.”
- Broad-spectrum CBD oil contains all the natural compounds found in the hemp plant, except for THC.
- Isolate CBD oil contains only pure CBD and no other compounds.
When choosing CBD oil for dogs during thunderstorms, it’s important to consider their individual needs and preferences. Full-spectrum CBD oil may be more effective for dogs with severe anxiety, while broad-spectrum or isolate CBD oil may be a better option for dogs who are sensitive to THC. It’s also important to choose a high-quality CBD product that has been tested for purity and potency. Look for products that have been third-party tested and have a certificate of analysis (COA) available.
Determining the right dosage of CBD oil for your dog can also be challenging. It’s important to start with a low dose and gradually increase it until you see the desired effect. A general rule of thumb is to give your dog 1-5mg of CBD per 10 pounds of body weight, depending on the severity of their anxiety. It’s also important to consult with your veterinarian before giving your dog CBD oil, as they can help you determine the right dosage and monitor your dog’s response to the supplement.
In conclusion, choosing the right CBD product and dosage for your dog can help them feel more relaxed and less anxious during thunderstorms. It’s important to do your research and consult with your veterinarian to ensure that you are giving your dog a safe and effective supplement. With the right CBD product and dosage, your dog can weather any storm with ease.
CBD Products for Your Furry Friend
Pet owners have many options for CBD products. Deciding which is best may take some trial and error.
CBD Oil – CBD oil comes in a bottle with a dropper. Many pet owners simply drop the recommended number of drops into their anxious dog’s mouth. Since this can be difficult, especially during thunderstorms, some pet parents turn to CBD dog treats.
CBD Dog Treats – CBD dog treats are perfect for a pup that loves treats. Simply open the package and give your pup the recommended number on the back of the package for your dog’s weight. Unfortunately, CBD treats are not recommended for large dogs. Large dogs would have to eat a lot of treats to get the dose they need to calm their anxiety. Small dogs may only need a couple of CBD treats to feel the effects of CBD.
Soft Chews – Soft chews are great for large and small dogs as they have more CBD in each one and can be broken up into smaller pieces.
Please remember to always check with your vet before giving your furry friend a new supplement. A vet can provide recommendations on dosages specific to your furry friend’s needs.
Additional Benefits of CBD Oil
CBD oil, also known as hemp oil, doesn’t only calm anxious dogs, it also helps dogs lead a healthy and happy life. Additional benefits of hemp CBD include:
- Reducing the risk of allergies.
- Reducing the risk of cancer.
- Relieving joint pain in arthritic dogs.
- Relieving pain from an ACL injury.
- Helping with leash reactivity.
- Improving mobility for older dogs.
- Easing chronic pain.
- Treats gastrointestinal or digestive issues in dogs.
- Relieving anxiety during car rides.
- Treating diabetes.
Anxious pets that receive hemp oil on a daily basis often have a much easier time dealing with thunderstorm anxiety as it’s already in their system. While they have it in their system for their storm phobia, they benefit from all of the additional health effects.
Learn More: How Much CBD for Dog with Anxiety
The Best CBD Oil for Dogs During Thunderstorms
Dog Ownership Guide recommends three brands for anxiety pets:
Each one of these brands truly cares about the CBD dog products they create for anxious pets. They source their CBD from organic cannabis plants and ensure that every step in production upholds the highest standards.
King Kanine’s brand for CBD oil is King Kalm. Their products come in many different dosing for storm phobia. Read more about their line of the best CBD oil products.
HolistaPet is quite popular among dog owners. They offer dog treats, CBD dog shampoo, and CBD oil. Their dog treats come in 10 mg amounts, which are perfect for small dogs. If your dog needs more, such as 20 mg, simply give your dog two treats. Learn more: HolistaPet Organic Dog Treats
DiamondCBD sells hemp CBD for dogs and humans. You can now experience similar benefits of hemp CBD along with your pooch. Pick from their wide variety of CBD products by visiting their website.
Other Ways to Help Your Dog During Thunderstorms
Aside from CBD oil, there are other ways dog owners can help their dogs feel more comfortable and less anxious during thunderstorms. Here are some additional tips:
- Create a safe space: Give your dog a designated safe space where they can retreat to during a thunderstorm. This can be a crate, a cozy bed, or a quiet room. Make sure the space is comfortable and familiar to your dog, and provide them with their favorite toys and treats.
- Provide white noise: White noise can help drown out the sound of thunder and create a calming environment for your dog. You can use a white noise machine, a fan, or even play calming music.
- Use calming pheromones: Calming pheromone sprays or diffusers can help reduce anxiety in dogs. These products emit a synthetic version of the pheromones that mother dogs produce to calm their puppies.
- Use an anxiety wrap: An anxiety wrap, such as a Thundershirt, can help provide gentle pressure to your dog’s body, which can have a calming effect. These wraps are designed to fit snugly around your dog’s body and can be worn during a thunderstorm.
- Distract your dog: Engage your dog in activities that distract them from the thunderstorm. This can be playing a game, practicing obedience training, or giving them a puzzle toy to solve.
Overall, there are many ways dog owners can help their dogs feel more comfortable and less anxious during thunderstorms. By combining different strategies and finding what works best for your individual dog, you can help them weather any storm with ease.
CBD Oil for Dogs During Thunderstorms
CBD oil for dogs during thunderstorms is effective and safe. Speak to your veterinarian to make sure it’s right for your pup. When confirmed, only purchase the best CBD oil for dogs from the above brands.
With relief from thunderstorm anxiety with CBD oil, your dog will be happier and healthy and you know what that means: Happy Dogs ~ Happy Owners.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dogs and Thunderstorms
Why are dogs afraid of thunderstorms?
Dogs may be afraid of thunderstorms due to the loud noises, bright flashes of lightning, and changes in barometric pressure. They may also be able to sense the electrical charge in the air before a storm arrives.
What are the signs of anxiety in dogs during thunderstorms?
Signs of anxiety in dogs during thunderstorms can include panting, pacing, trembling, hiding, whining, and destructive behavior.
Can thunderstorm anxiety in dogs be treated?
Yes, there are several ways to treat thunderstorm anxiety in dogs, including desensitization training, medication, and natural supplements like CBD oil.
Can dogs be trained to not be afraid of thunderstorms?
Yes, desensitization training can help dogs become less afraid of thunderstorms over time. This involves gradually exposing them to the sounds and sights of a thunderstorm in a controlled environment, while also providing positive reinforcement.
Are there any natural remedies for thunderstorm anxiety in dogs?
Yes, there are several natural remedies for thunderstorm anxiety in dogs, including CBD oil, calming pheromones, and anxiety wraps.
Should I give my dog medication for thunderstorm anxiety?
It’s important to consult with your veterinarian before giving your dog any medication for thunderstorm anxiety. They can help you determine the right dosage and monitor your dog’s response to the medication.
Can thunderstorm anxiety in dogs be prevented?
While thunderstorm anxiety in dogs cannot be prevented, there are several ways to help reduce their anxiety during a storm, including creating a safe space, providing white noise, and using natural supplements.