If your dog ate SOS pad, you may be freaking out. It is true that an SOS pad has chemicals and tiny metal fibers, which can be harmful to your dog, but don’t get too emotionally troubled before knowing what the exact repercussions are and what you should do. In other words, remain cool, calm, and collected.
Dog Ate SOS Pad: My Story
Snowy is a curious and playful dog. She will have no problem scooping something off the floor that has no business being in her mouth. I mean…she’s the one that eats most of the things that are a problem for dogs, such as ribbon, fish oil pills, etc. I have to say when I saw her chowing down on an SOS pad, I freaked out and called the veterinarian to ask questions. Below is what I learned after my dog ate SOS pad.
What is an SOS Pad?
An SOS pad is a type of scouring pad made from steel wool, soap, and rust inhibitors. It’s a popular household product used to scrub pots and pans. The steel wool pad is made of low-carbon steel wire, which is spun into a thick pad and then impregnated with soap and rust inhibitors. The soap helps to break down food and grease, while the rust inhibitors help to protect the steel wool from corrosion.
Are SOS Pads Toxic to Dogs?
No, SOS pads are not toxic to dogs, however, it is not recommended to let a dog ingest them. The ingredients of the pads can cause irritation, vomiting, and diarrhea if a dog were to swallow them.
Are SOS Pads Bad for Dogs to Eat?
SOS pads contain steel wool, which is made of thin strands of metal. If ingested, these strands can be damaging to a dog’s stomach and digestive system. The sharp wire shavings can cause the scouring pad to unravel and the sharp strands can puncture the intestinal wall, resulting in an intestinal blockage. In severe cases, the blockage can be life-threatening.
What to Know About Intestinal Blockage in Dogs
Intestinal blockage in dogs is a serious and potentially life-threatening condition that occurs when a foreign object or abnormal accumulation of material blocks the intestines and prevents the normal passage of food and other substances.
Common causes of intestinal blockage in dogs include the ingestion of foreign objects, such as SOS pads, toys, bones, or other items, or the ingestion of a large amount of hair from grooming or from another pet. Intestinal blockages can also be caused by tumors, inflammation, or other diseases.
If a dog is suspected of having an intestinal blockage, a veterinarian should be consulted immediately for diagnosis and treatment. Treatment typically includes the administration of intravenous fluids and possibly surgery to remove the blockage. In some cases, a gastrointestinal laxative or enema may be used to help move the blockage.
It is important to prevent intestinal blockage in dogs by making sure they do not have access to items they could swallow, such as toys, bones, or other items. Additionally, regular grooming and brushing of the coat will help reduce the amount of hair the pet ingests. Finally, if a pet is diagnosed with a disease or condition that could lead to intestinal blockage, it is important to follow the veterinarian’s instructions and monitor the pet closely for any signs of trouble.
What Happens When a Dog Eats an SOS Pad?
When a dog eats an SOS pad, it can cause gastrointestinal upset. The sharp strands of steel wool can cause the pad to unravel and can lead to physical issues in the dog’s stomach. In some cases, the dog’s stomach may not be able to digest the steel wool and it can cause a blockage in the digestive system. This can be a serious medical issue and should be addressed as soon as possible.
What to Do When a Dog Eats an SOS Pad
If you’ve noticed that your pet has eaten an SOS pad, it’s important to take immediate action. The first thing you should do is contact your vet or an emergency vet. The vet may be able to provide advice on what to do and may recommend an X-ray to check for blockages. If a blockage is present, the vet will be able to take the necessary steps to remove it.
In addition to contacting your vet, it’s also important to contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center. The center can provide advice on what to do and can help to ensure that your pet receives the necessary care.
How to Prevent It From Happening Again
It’s important to take steps to prevent your dog from eating an SOS pad in the future. The best way to do this is to keep all cleaning products and household items out of the reach of pets. This includes scouring pads, Brillo pads, and any other type of steel wool product. Additionally, it’s a good idea to switch to biodegradable detergents and cleaning products that are safe for pets.
Get Help Immediately
SOS pads are a popular household item and are great for scrubbing pots and pans. However, they can be dangerous for pets if ingested. If your dog eats an SOS pad, it’s important to take immediate action. Contact your vet or an emergency vet and contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center. Additionally, take steps to prevent it from happening again by keeping cleaning products and household items out of the reach of pets and switching to biodegradable detergents and cleaning products that are safe for pets.
[sc_fs_multi_faq headline-0=”h3″ question-0=”What happens when a dog eats an SOS pad?” answer-0=”When a dog eats an SOS pad, it can cause gastrointestinal upset. The sharp strands of steel wool can cause the pad to unravel and can lead to physical issues in the dog’s stomach. In some cases, the dog’s stomach may not be able to digest the steel wool and it can cause a blockage in the digestive system.” image-0=”” headline-1=”h3″ question-1=”What should I do if my dog eats an SOS pad?” answer-1=”If your pet has eaten an SOS pad, it’s important to take immediate action. Contact your vet or an emergency vet and contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center. Additionally, take steps to prevent it from happening again by keeping cleaning products and household items out of reach of pets and switching to biodegradable detergents and cleaning products that are safe for pets.” image-1=”” count=”2″ html=”true” css_class=””]