Dog Ate String from Rope Toy

October 12, 2022by DOGuide0

Dogs LOVE rope toys. What’s not to love? They are soft and you can tear them apart. While some dogs will rip pieces from a rope toy and spit them out, others will swallow the string. If your dog ate string from rope toy, find out what you need to do below.

What Happens When Dog Ate String from Rope Toy

A string is a foreign object in a dog’s body, which means that it can be dangerous. The following three things can happen when a dog eats string from a rope toy.

  1. The string can irritate the stomach and intestinal wall. This can cause your dog to vomit to get rid of the linear foreign body. If it’s a long piece of string, your pup may vomit multiple times to get it all out of the stomach.
  2. If your dog doesn’t vomit the linear foreign body, it will likely pass through the gastrointestinal tract (digestive tract). The dog may poop the string out, which is good news. Just so you know, the poop may be soft, which you read more about in What Soft Dog Poop Means.
  3. Dogs that don’t vomit or pass the string through the digestive system may need medical attention. The string can get stuck in the dog’s digestive tract. In serious cases, the string can wrap around the dog’s intestines and cut them. The intestines can become inflamed or infected, known as peritonitis. This can be life-threatening, so it’s important to have your dog checked by a veterinarian when a dog ate string from rope toy.

dog eats string from rope toy

Dog Ate String from Rope Toy: What Veterinarians Recommend

When pet owners say their dog ate string from rope toy, veterinarians recommend bringing their pet in to be seen. It is considered a medical emergency. There’s no way to know if the string gets lodged in the dog’s digestive tract, and if it does, surgery may be needed.

The veterinarian can induce vomit to try to get the string out if it didn’t happen too long ago.

It is NOT a good idea for pet owners should never induce vomit at home. It is not safe and could cause permanent damage.

How Much an Intestinal Blockage Costs

Do not wait after your dog ate string from rope toy. The cost of an intestinal blockage can be significant. Depending on what needs to be done, such as exams, medication, and surgery, dog owners can pay from $800 to $7,000.

While dog insurance is available to pay for this medical emergency, if you’re like most dog owners, you don’t have pet health insurance.

This may be a good time to think about getting a policy. The monthly costs are worth the hundreds or thousands of dollars to save your dog from an emergency after eating dangerous objects.

Learn more about the dog insurance companies we recommend by clicking below:
4 344669 47736 175275
image 1760738 13348155 1630563304000

How to Reduce the Risk of Your Dog Swallowing Foreign Objects

As much as dogs love rope toys, they aren’t the best chew toys for dogs. When you go to the pet store, look for dog toys that don’t pose choking hazards or small pieces that can be broken off and swallowed. Even swallowed objects that are not linear objects can be a threat to the dog’s digestive system.

Other dog toys to stay away from that could cause problems in your dog’s digestive system include golf balls and raw hide chews.

Always buy dog toys that are larger than your dog’s mouth. Watch your pup play with the toys to ensure no small pieces break off. Even large portions of a toy can be a hazard, so just keep an eye on them.

Puppies have sharp teeth, so they can usually be more successful at breaking up toys. Just pay attention and remove any toys that are destroyed before your pet swallows any pieces.

You may be interested in: Stuffed Dog Toys for Aggressive Chewers

rope toy string swallowed

Summary: Dog Ate String from Rope Toy

Now you know what to do when your dog ate string from rope toy. Call your veterinarian right away to discuss what to do.

Seek new toys for your pup that do not pose a threat. That way you won’t have to worry about permanent damage.

Also, consider dog insurance for your pup – even if your dog isn’t a puppy. The amount spent on dog insurance will not come close to the amount you would have to pay for treating injuries or a medical condition, which is what pet insurance covers.

Similar Articles:

my dog swallowed a ribbon

My Dog Swallowed a Ribbon

Dog Ate an Earring

Dog Ate an Earring

 

dog ate bamboo skewers

Dog Ate Bamboo Skewers

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

transparent logo
About

Dog Ownership Guide – D.O.G. – launched in 2021 to meet the needs of dog owners and their dogs worldwide. Our website is a place to not only learn, shop, and entertain, but share as well. Learn all that D.O.G. has to offer below and allow us to extend a warm welcome to you.

D.O.G. is an affiliate marketing website. When you purchase an item after clicking a link on our website, we recieve a small commission at NO COST to you. Thank you for supporting Dog Ownership Guide.

D.O.G. Digest

Monthly eNewsletter with NEWS, STORIES, and INFORMATION for dogs and their owners.