Dog Chewing

Dog Chewed Lighter


No Comments

Dog owners often face unexpected situations where their furry friends get into something they shouldn’t have. One such situation is when a dog chews a lighter. As a dog owner, I understand how concerning it can be to see your beloved pet chewing on something that could potentially harm them.

If your dog has chewed a lighter, it is important to take immediate action. Lighters contain substances that are harmful to both dogs and humans. If your dog has ingested any lighter fluid or even a small amount of it, it can result in serious medical emergencies. Therefore, it is crucial to seek veterinary care as soon as possible.

In this article, I will provide information on what to do if your dog has chewed a lighter. I will also discuss the potential dangers of dogs ingesting lighters and what symptoms to look out for. By the end of this article, you will have a better understanding of how to handle this situation and how to keep your furry friend safe.

Why Dogs Chew on Lighters

As a dog owner, it can be concerning to find out that your furry friend has chewed on a lighter. There are several reasons why dogs may be attracted to chewing on lighters.

Firstly, dogs have a natural instinct to chew. Chewing can help relieve stress, boredom, and anxiety. If your dog is not provided with enough appropriate chew toys, they may turn to other objects to satisfy their chewing needs, including lighters.

Secondly, dogs are attracted to the smell of lighter fluid. Lighters contain liquified petroleum fuels like butane, naphtha, or charcoal fluid. These chemicals can be appealing to dogs, especially those with a strong sense of smell.

Thirdly, dogs may chew on lighters as a form of play. Dogs are playful creatures that enjoy exploring and interacting with their environment. Chewing on a lighter may provide your dog with a new and interesting object to play with.

It is important to note that chewing on lighters can be dangerous for dogs. Lighters can contain sharp edges and small parts that can pose a choking hazard. In addition, the chemicals in lighter fluid can be toxic to dogs if ingested in large amounts.

To prevent your dog from chewing on lighters, it is important to provide them with appropriate chew toys and supervise them when they are playing. Keep lighters and other potentially dangerous objects out of reach of your dog.

Risks of Ingesting Lighters

As a dog owner, it is important to be aware of the risks associated with your pet ingesting lighters. If your dog has chewed a lighter, it is crucial to take immediate action to prevent any further harm. In this section, I will discuss the potential risks of ingesting lighters and the symptoms to look out for.

Symptoms of Lighter Ingestion

If your dog has ingested a lighter, you may notice several symptoms. These can include:

  • Drooling
  • Loss of appetite
  • Weakness
  • Choking or locking jaws
  • Skin and oral irritation
  • Dehydration
  • Shaking
  • Seizures
  • Coma

Ingesting a lighter can also cause internal damage, such as obstruction or internal wounds, which can lead to peritonitis or internal bleeding. If you notice any of these symptoms, it is important to contact your vet immediately.


What to Do if Your Dog Ingests a Lighter

If your dog chewed a lighter and ingested lighter fluid, it is essential to take immediate action. Ingesting lighter fluid can be a medical emergency, and it is crucial to seek medical attention right away. In this section, I will outline the immediate actions you should take and the medical treatment your dog may need.

Immediate Actions

If you catch your dog chewing a lighter or suspect they have ingested lighter fluid, take the following immediate actions:

  1. Call your veterinarian or an emergency animal hospital. They will give you guidance on the next steps to take.
  2. Do not induce vomiting. Vomiting can cause the lighter fluid to enter your dog’s lungs, which can cause severe damage.
  3. Do not give your dog any food or water. This can also cause vomiting and make the situation worse.
  4. Keep your dog calm. Try to keep your dog as still and calm as possible to prevent the lighter fluid from spreading.

Medical Treatment

Medical treatment for a dog that has ingested lighter fluid will depend on the severity of the situation. In some cases, your veterinarian may recommend hospitalization and supportive care.

Treatment may include the following:

  1. Fluid therapy. Your dog may need fluids to help flush out the lighter fluid from their system.
  2. Activated charcoal. Activated charcoal can help absorb the lighter fluid and prevent it from causing further damage.
  3. Symptomatic treatment. Your veterinarian may treat your dog’s symptoms with medication to help manage any pain, inflammation, or other issues.
  4. Monitoring. Your veterinarian will monitor your dog’s condition closely to ensure they are responding well to treatment.

If you are unsure what to do or have questions about your dog’s condition, you can also seek advice from veterinary professionals online, such as JustAnswer. However, keep in mind that online advice should not replace the advice of a licensed veterinarian who has examined your dog in person.

Remember, if your dog chews a lighter and ingests lighter fluid, it is essential to seek medical attention right away. Ingesting lighter fluid can be a severe medical emergency, and prompt action can help prevent further damage and ensure the best possible outcome for your dog.

Preventing Future Incidents

As a responsible dog owner, I know that prevention is key to avoid future incidents of my dog chewing on a lighter. Here are some tips that I have learned to keep my furry friend safe:

Keep Lighters Out of Reach

The most important step in preventing future incidents is to keep lighters out of my dog’s reach. I make sure to store lighters in a secure location, such as a locked cabinet or drawer. If I am using a lighter, I always keep it within my sight and reach, never leaving it unattended.

Educate My Dog

I have found that educating my dog is an effective way to prevent future incidents. I make sure to teach my dog what is safe to chew on and what is not. I provide my dog with plenty of chew toys and bones to satisfy their natural urge to chew. I also train my dog to drop any object that is not a toy when I command them to.

Monitor My Dog’s Behavior

I keep a close eye on my dog’s behavior to ensure they are not exhibiting any signs of distress or illness. If my dog is vomiting, has diarrhea or is lethargic, I take them to the vet immediately. I also make sure to check my dog’s fur and paws regularly to ensure they are not injured or have ingested anything they shouldn’t have.

Avoid Certain Foods

Certain foods, such as garlic and onion, can be toxic to dogs. I make sure to keep these foods out of my dog’s reach and avoid feeding them any table scraps that may contain these ingredients. I also make sure to provide my dog with plenty of fresh water to drink to keep them hydrated and healthy.

By following these tips, I can prevent future incidents of my dog chewing on a lighter and keep them safe and healthy.



Dog Ownership Guide – D.O.G. – launched in 2021 to meet the needs of dog owners and their dogs worldwide. Our website is a place to not only learn, shop, and entertain, but share as well. Leave a comment, contact us, or learn more about the founder.

Leave a Comment