My Dog Swallowed a Ribbon

March 30, 2022by DOGuide0

Your dog was playing with a rope toy or it’s the holidays and a piece of ribbon made its way into your pup’s mouth. You tried to get it out with your hands before making its way down into the dark tunnel to the stomach, but it was no use. You couldn’t get it in time, and now you’re worried. Dog Ownership Guide is here for anyone who is searching “my dog swallowed a ribbon” online.

What Happens When Your Dog Ate Ribbon

The ribbon is dangerous inside a pet’s stomach. The following are three things that could happen if your dog ate ribbon:

  1. The ribbon irritates the stomach wall. It could lead to vomiting as the stomach tries to get rid of the foreign object. If it makes its way out of the mouth, then your pup will be a-okay.
  2. The best consequence of swallowing string-like objects is having them pass through the gastrointestinal tract. The dog defecates the linear foreign body with no damage. Read What Soft Dog Poop Means.
  3. A bad consequence of swallowing string-like objects is getting stuck in the gastrointestinal tract. The small intestines may climb up the foreign object. The intestines push on it and the ribbon acts like a sharp object cutting the intestine. It’s just like a line of wire-cutting cheese. Peritonitis can occur if the small intestine becomes infected or inflamed. Peritonitis is life-threatening.

dog swallowed ribbon

What Veterinarians Recommend When Pet Owners Say My Dog Swallowed a Ribbon

Veterinarians tell pet owners who say “My dog swallowed a ribbon!” to bring their pup into the office immediately. While a linear foreign body may make its way out of the body, it’s better to be safe than sorry.

If foreign body ingestion happens after hours, take your pup to the closest emergency veterinarian. It doesn’t take long for the linear object to make its way to the small intestines. A puppy may suffer from the digestive tract effects of the swallowed ribbon even faster, so time is of the essence.

The emergency vet will likely recommend surgery to remove the string from the stomach or digestive tract. The good news is that the surgery won’t take long, so you can take your pup home as soon as it’s over.

How Much Is the Vet Bill for Intestinal Blockage

The cost of intestinal blockage depends on many factors. A dog suffering from foreign body ingestion may need an exam, medications, and surgery. If surgery is required, anesthesia, operating room, and hospitalization costs increase the amount of the vet bill. Checkups also may be needed. The total cost of intestinal blockage can range from $800 to as much as $7,000.

Dog Insurance Covers Accidents

Dog insurance covers accidents and medical conditions that were not pre-existing. Surgery or veterinarian care due to swallowing a ribbon or another foreign object should be covered by a dog insurance policy.

If you don’t have pet insurance for your dog yet, don’t let another situation like this one threaten your financial health. No one can ever predict when an accident or medical condition will occur. Dog insurance makes dealing with their treatment of them easier, so you can focus on taking care of yourself and your pup. No dog owner should ever have to choose between treatment and finances.

when a dog swallows a ribbon

Reduce the Risk of Unintentional Swallowing of Linear Objects

The best way to keep foreign body ingestion happen is to keep it away from your furry friends. During Christmas, make sure your furry friends are away from the area of your home where you’ll be using ribbon.

It’s especially important to keep a new puppy away from a Christmas Tree as puppies love to play and chew on ribbons along with sharp objects like glass bulbs and lights.

An unfortunate consequence of some robe toys is swallowing the string it’s made out of, so keep an eye on your dog or new puppy when playing with them. As rope toys start to fall apart, make sure to throw them away to reduce the risk of swallowing string.

Now, you know what to do when after your dog swallowed a ribbon. Dog Ownership Guide hopes you and your favorite furry friend will be okay.

Related Articles:

Dog Ate an Earring

Dog Ate an Earring

dog ate bamboo skewers

Dog Ate Bamboo Skewers

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

transparent logo
About

Dog Ownership Guide – D.O.G. – launched in 2021 to meet the needs of dog owners and their dogs worldwide. Our website is a place to not only learn, shop, and entertain, but share as well. Learn all that D.O.G. has to offer below and allow us to extend a warm welcome to you.

D.O.G. is an affiliate marketing website. When you purchase an item after clicking a link on our website, we recieve a small commission at NO COST to you. Thank you for supporting Dog Ownership Guide.

D.O.G. Digest

Monthly eNewsletter with NEWS, STORIES, and INFORMATION for dogs and their owners.