Toxic to Dogs

Are Shasta Daisies Toxic to Dogs: What You Need to Know


No Comments

Shasta daisies are a beautiful addition to any garden, but pet owners may be concerned about the safety of their furry friends when it comes to this plant. The question remains: are Shasta daisies toxic to dogs?

Are Shasta Daisies Toxic To Dogs?

The answer is yes, Shasta daisies are toxic to dogs. They contain sesquiterpene lactones, which can cause allergic reactions and even a severe reaction in some dogs. These compounds are also found in other daisy plants, such as common daisies and chamomile.

If a dog ingests Shasta daisies, they may experience symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and loss of appetite. In severe cases, it can lead to respiratory distress and even death. It is important to note that the toxicity level of Shasta daisies may vary depending on the amount ingested and the size of the dog.

If a pet owner suspects their dog has ingested Shasta daisies, they should contact their veterinarian or the Animal Poison Control Center immediately. The center can provide information on the toxicity level and recommend the next steps to take.

Symptoms Of Daisy Ingestion

If a dog ingests Shasta daisies, they may experience a range of symptoms. These symptoms can vary depending on the amount of daisy ingested and the size of the dog.

The most common symptoms of daisy ingestion include vomiting, diarrhea, and digestive upset. These symptoms may appear within a few hours of ingestion and can last up to several days. Additionally, gastrointestinal distress, excessive drooling, convulsions, and difficulty breathing may also occur in more severe cases.

See also  Can Dogs Have Egg Salad? A Vet's Perspective

It is important to note that not all dogs will experience the same symptoms, and some may not show any symptoms at all. However, if a dog shows any of the above symptoms after ingesting Shasta daisies, it is recommended that they be taken to a veterinarian immediately.

While Shasta daisies are not considered highly toxic to dogs, it is still important to monitor your pet’s behavior and take preventative measures to avoid ingestion. This includes keeping Shasta daisies out of reach and being aware of other plants in the daisy family that may be more toxic to dogs.

Treatment And Veterinary Attention

If a dog ingests shasta daisies, it is important to seek veterinary attention immediately. The veterinarian will perform a physical exam and may recommend diagnostic tests, such as blood work or x-rays, to determine the extent of the toxicity.

Treatment for shasta daisy toxicity may include inducing vomiting to remove the plant material from the dog’s stomach. Activated charcoal may also be administered to help bind any remaining toxins in the dog’s system. In severe cases, hospitalization may be required to provide supportive care, such as intravenous fluids and medications to manage symptoms.

It is important to note that shasta daisy toxicity can cause liver damage in dogs. Therefore, the veterinarian may recommend follow-up blood work to monitor liver function and ensure that the dog is recovering properly.

Owners should also be aware of other plants that are harmful to dogs and take steps to prevent their pets from ingesting them. Keeping toxic plants out of reach and supervising dogs while they are outside can help prevent accidental ingestion.

See also  Can Dogs Have Whipping Cream

In summary, shasta daisies are toxic to dogs, and if a dog ingests them, it is important to seek veterinary attention immediately. Treatment may include inducing vomiting, administering activated charcoal, and providing supportive care. Owners should also take steps to prevent their pets from ingesting toxic plants and be aware of the signs of toxicity.



Dog Ownership Guide – D.O.G. – launched in 2021 to meet the needs of dog owners and their dogs worldwide. Our website is a place to not only learn, shop, and entertain, but share as well. Leave a comment, contact us, or learn more about the founder.

Leave a Comment