Toxic to Dogs

Dog Ate Grass Seed With Mefenoxam

DOGuide

No Comments

Dogs are known to be curious creatures and often get into things they shouldn’t, including ingesting grass seed treated with the fungicide mefenoxam. This can be a serious problem as ingesting mefenoxam can cause a range of symptoms in dogs, including vomiting, diarrhea, and even kidney failure. In this article, we will explore the dangers of mefenoxam for dogs and what you should do if your dog ate grass seed with mefenoaxm. We will also discuss preventative measures you can take to keep your dog safe from the potential dangers of mefenoxam and other toxic substances.

grass seed for dogs

What Is Mefenoxam?

Mefenoxam is a fungicide that is used to prevent and control a variety of plant diseases, including those caused by Pythium and Phytophthora, which are common pathogens that affect a wide range of crops, including vegetables, fruit trees, and turf grass. Mefenoxam works by inhibiting the growth and reproduction of fungal pathogens, which helps to protect plants from infection and disease. It is often used as a seed treatment to protect newly germinated plants from disease, as well as a foliar spray to protect mature plants. However, it is toxic to animals and humans if ingested.

Why Mefenoxam Is Toxic to Dogs

Mefenoxam is toxic to dogs because it can cause a range of symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, and even kidney failure. The exact mechanism of toxicity is not well understood, but it is thought that the fungicide interferes with normal cell function in the body, particularly in the kidneys. This can lead to damage of the organ and can cause the release of toxins into the bloodstream, leading to various symptoms. The severity of symptoms depends on the amount of mefenoxam ingested, the size of the dog, and the overall health of the dog. Ingestion of large amounts of mefenoxam can be fatal to dogs.

See also  Are Wildflowers Safe for Dogs? A Guide to Keep Your Furry Friend Safe

Is Grass Seed Safe for Dogs?

No, grass seed is not safe for dogs. Grass seeds can be up to 2 centimeters long and have a pointy end. It’s easy for them to penetrate and become lodged under the skin. It’s also easy for dogs to swallow grass seeds, especially in areas there are many of them. When any one of these situations happens, it can lead to serious problems.

What Grass Seeds Do to Dogs

When grass seed and dogs connect externally or internally from ingesting it, the following complications can occur:

Infection

If the seed becomes lodged under the skin and isn’t removed, the open wound can become infected.

Redness and Swelling

Just like when humans get a splinter, a seed under the skin can become irritated, red, and swollen.

Loss of Eyesight

When a seed pieces the eye, a dog may suffer from permanent loss of eyesight.

Hearing Loss

It’s easy for grass seed to become lodged inside of the ear under the skin. If it gets too far into the ear canal, hearing loss is possible.

Ear Infection

Just as the grass seed under the skin can become injected, the same can happen inside of the ear.

Ruptured Eardrum

If the seed makes its way to the eardrum, it may rupture from the seed piercing it.

Lung Infection

A dog that ingests grass seeds may end up suffering from a fatal lung infection.

Pneumonia

The lung infection may result in pneumonia, which is also life-threatening.

Airway Blockage

After swallowing grass seed, the seed may block the airway if it gets stuck on the way to the stomach. This can prevent the dog from breathing resulting in death.

See also  Are Ant Traps Toxic to Dogs?

Damaged Joints, Ligaments, or Tendons

Grass seed is so sharp that it can continue to burrow itself into the body. The seed can penetrate joints, ligaments, and tendons causing severe pain and damage.

Throat Pain

Seeds that piece the throat cause excruciating pain.

Most dog owners have no idea their dog is suffering from a grass seed-related issue. They just notice their dog is hurt or feeling sick.

For those who do know that grass seeds are the culprit, the most important thing to do is get them out from under the skin.

How to Remove Grass Seed from a Dog’s Skin

The best way to remove grass seed from a dog’s skin is to use a pair of long tweezers, known as crocodile forceps. Smaller, more common tweezers do not have the force to remove the seed from the skin.

It’s best to let the veterinarian remove the grass seed(s) since it can be easily broken and lost under the skin. Sometimes, the vet needs to use anesthesia or sedatives to work the grass seed(s) out without causing your pup discomfort.

After removing seeds from deep under the skin, antibiotics or anti-inflammatory medicine may need to be prescribed to prevent infection and further pain.

Unfortunately, even veterinarians can have difficulty removing grass seeds from a dog’s skin so surgery may be required.

Contact the Vet When Dog Ate Grass Seed with Mefenoxam

It is very important to contact the vet when dog ate grass seed with mefenoxam, even if you’ve already removed the grass seed from your dog’s skin. Not only does the grass seed present a threat, but the mefenoxam is a double whammy. Your vet will likely want you to bring your dog into the office for an examination.

safe grass seed for dogs

How to Protect Your Dog from Grass Seed and

Mefenoxam

The good news is that there are ways to protect your dog from the danger of grass seeds and mefenoxam.

See also  My Dog Swallowed a Ribbon

Avoid Long Grass

Seeds can get lost in tall grass, so avoid taking your dog for walks in it.

Frequent Grooming

Brushing and cutting your dog’s coat, especially after being outside, can help catch grass seed on the fur before it makes its way into the skin.

Regular Checks

Checking your dog’s fur after being outside can help prevent any seeds from making their way from your dog’s coat to the skin. These checks can also identify problems because they become serious. If you see any redness or swelling, that’s a good indication there may be something that is irritating the area.

Look for Signs

Grass treatment companies usually put signs where they have treated grass. Look for signs in parks, lawns, or anywhere there are large areas of grass, especially when the grass is very green.

Trust Your Gut

If your gut is telling you grass has been recently treated, stay away from the area. It’s always better to be safe than sorry.

Overview of Dog Ate Grass Seed with Mefenoxam

Dogs are known to ingest grass seed treated with the fungicide mefenoxam, which can cause symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and even kidney failure. Mefenoxam is a fungicide used to protect plants from disease, but is toxic to animals if ingested. Grass seeds can also pose a danger to dogs as they can become lodged under the skin, resulting in infections, loss of eyesight or hearing, and even death. It is important for dog owners to take preventative measures to keep their dogs safe and to remove grass seeds from the skin if found.

Related Articles:

will maple tree seeds hurt my dog

Will Maple Tree Seeds Hurt My Dog

dog ate sos pad

Dog Ate SOS Pad

is mundo grass toxic to dogs

Is Mundo Grass Toxic to Dogs?

About

DOGuide

Dog Ownership Guide – D.O.G. – launched in 2021 to meet the needs of dog owners and their dogs worldwide. Our website is a place to not only learn, shop, and entertain, but share as well. Leave a comment, contact us, or learn more about the founder.

Leave a Comment